Monday, January 18, 2010

Off Day

Today was not my best day, Love Dare wise.

One of the weekend challenges was to set aside time to spend in Bible reading. I did that, no problem. Well, maybe with a little problem. My sons were home from school, so finding a quiet moment was not easy. This year, I've been using the One Year Bible (oneyearbibleonline.com) to read through the New Living Translation of the Bible. I had to break up my Bible time into two segments so that I could get it all read. But I read it! And to tell you the truth, I am really enjoying it. I am learning new and unexpected things. Today, I read in Matthew 12:39-40. Jesus compared himself to Jonah. I'd never thought of that before, how both of them were in a dark place for three days before walking out.

No, the problem I had today was keeping up with the very first day of The Love Dare. Do you remember what that challenge was? To say nothing negative to your spouse. I've worked hard to keep negative words out of my mouth and negative thoughts out of my head. Today, though, I let some negative slip out. OK, so maybe it wasn't too bad. And maybe my anger was justifiable. That still doesn't make the negativity OK.

I've spent today home with the kids. We didn't go anywhere, just stayed here playing and watching TV. While the kids played, I did some work. I've been working on a novel that I want to have finished by March and some projects for the ladies group at my church. In between, I did some housework and started cooking dinner. But when my husband came home from work, he noticed the things that were not done. I felt like I had done a lot, and then his words changed that. I felt like I had wasted the day, at least in his eyes. And I told him that I hate it when he comes home like that. I snapped at him once or twice when he asked why something wasn't done. Not the right way to handle it, but it is the way I handled things.

Of course, that was a lot better than how I would have handled the situation before I started on The Love Dare. I probably would have been more rude in what I said to him and yelled a bit more. So I guess that does mean I am making progress.

1 comment:

  1. I imagine you probably responded the way most women would when a man critizes their day. I wouldn't worry about giving him a little lip about it. You don't go into his work place and tell him what he needs to do, so I think a little irritation is justifiable. It's good that you did not yell though. You are making progress.

    ReplyDelete