Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day One

Well, Day One of my Love Dare is in the books. It could have gone better, but it could have gone a lot worse, too.

Yesterday's assignment—say nothing negative to my husband all day long—went well. I could easily have failed it. My husband didn't talk to me much at all, which was rather frustrating. I could have blown up at any time—and I have been known to do that in the past—but I didn't. Instead, I kept smiling. I don't want to let his actions, reactions, or lack thereof, keep me from doing what I need to do. I have to trust that as I am learning how to practice unconditional love, God will open up my hubby's heart to receive it.

Any conversations we had we started by me and most contained only one or two lines of dialogue from him. But we didn't fight! That is a positive thing.

My mother, my best friend, and my sister—when I told them about finding his wedding ring on the dresser—suggested that maybe he just left it at home rather than risk losing it from his pocket at work. That didn't sound right to me. I remember one time, about 2 or 3 years ago, when he was late coming home from work because he had left his ring in his work pants and tossed them into the laundry bin at work. He wouldn't leave until he had gone through everything in that bin and found the ring. Somehow, I didn't think it was just a protective measure. I watched him when he got home from work, to see if he would put the ring back on. He never did. Though he went to that dresser once or twice, he never came down with his wedding band on. I wanted to ask him about it. I didn't, though. Partly because of the Dare (I wasn't sure if I could ask and not have a negative word or two slip out) and partly because of my own ring.

I'll admit, I don't always wear my wedding and engagement rings. While I was pregnant with our oldest child, my hormones caused some sort of reaction with the metal in the rings. Well, with the metal in any jewelry, actually. I couldn't wear earrings or rings or necklaces. I'd keep my wedding band on a string around my neck. That didn't seem to bother me, and I had the ring with me all the time. Ever since then, though, I've had trouble when I have the rings on and get my hands wet. So I often take off my rings and place them either on the kitchen windowsill or on my desk while I do the dishes. Only, I don't always remember to slip them back on. In the past year, I've had a problem with my fingers swelling when I sleep. Again, I will take the rings off over night for comfort purposes, and then forget to put them back on in the morning. My husband has never said much about it. Once or twice, he has commented that maybe he shouldn't have spent that money on rings for me. It never really occurred to me that it might hurt him to know I wasn't wearing my rings. Seeing his ring on the dresser and then looking at his empty ring finger last night, I finally understood. If his heart feels even a fraction of the ache that mine does, I will never take the rings off again. I kept them on while I slept last night and while I showered. And guess what? My finger didn't fall off!!! I did slip the rings off long enough to dry my finger and dry the rings very well, but then I put them right back on. It might seem like a little thing, but I don't want to take them off if not wearing my rings will upset my husband.

The place where I feel like I struggled a little yesterday was when we were heading to bed. Here in mid-Michigan, our first snow storm of the year arrived last night. While we didn't get as much snow as many parts of the country did, it was very cold here. My hubby wrapped his blanket tight around him. I asked if he wanted to cuddle so we could keep warm. He said, "No thanks. I'm good." Then he turned his back to me. That hurt. I said, "I kind of figured that was going to be your answer." I didn't say it in a rude way, but I am still not sure if it counts as negative or not. He didn't say anything more. I just sighed and said, "I love you, good-night." He muttered something that sounded like it might have been "I love you". It wasn't very convincing, though. Still, if he said it, that must mean there is probably hope, right?

Today's part of the dare is going to be a bit harder: "In addition to saying nothing negative to your spouse today, do at least one unexpected gesture as an act of kindness." I have no idea how I am going to do this one. In our family, we have a kitchen cleaning schedule. Monday is my hubby's day. To be nice, I cleaned the kitchen real well before I made dinner. He said something about not wanting me to hold it over his head that I had done that on his kitchen night. I wasn't trying to have something to hold over his head. All I wanted to do was be nice. He works hard in a shop all day. I work from home. I thought if I cleaned for him it would give him a chance to relax and not have to worry about anything after work. His reaction made me feel

5 comments:

  1. Keep at it Lynn.:) Just remember that the only person you can control is yourself. You can't keep your husband from having a negative reaction to your attempt to do something nice, but you can control how you react to his comments. It hurts to be rejected, but you have to give it up to God and trust that he is at work in your marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever done something as formal as this book, but a while ago I realized I needed to improve my behavior in my marriage - be more positive, more loving to my husband, etc. Our relationship was deteriorating, too.

    It took a while, which was disappointing at first. I thought several times, "Why am I doing this? He doesn't care; nothing is changing on his side. Does he even love me any more?"

    I kept working at it, though, reminding myself that this wasn't about how he treated me, but about how I treated him. It was my responsibility to be good to him and do all I could for our relationship regardless of what he did. And I found, after enough time had gone by (for us it took a few months) that he was warming up to me again. I'm still working on improving, but our relationship is better than it was, and I have hopes that it will continue to improve.

    One of the things that helped me a lot when I was wondering if he loved me was to remind myself that there are different ways of showing love. My husband works very hard to support us, making some real sacrifices to do so. He might not be terribly fond of hugs and cuddling, but his hard work is, really, a truer measure of his love for me and the children than anything else.

    Good luck. Stick with it. You won't regret doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog via Laura @ Life Happens.

    I am a Newlywed so to speak i got married in August this year. We got the Love Dare in a basketful of goodies from my mother in law as a wedding gift. It also laid under the coffee table for a few months and then....

    I also recently started doing (Nov 1) the Love Dare on my husband, not because we had any problesm or anything, I just wanted our relationship to get stronger, we had been fighting a little more than normal and thought it would help which it did! But then my husband was gone to the Deer Camp for a week right after i started, i got only a week into it.

    It has been very hard for me to get back into it!!
    I want to bad, but sometimes it seems like i am too busy, i know i shouldnt be, I want to do it, i just havent made time to do it! It's my fault!

    I wish you the best in your Love Dare! Things were going great for us when i was doing it, we were fighting, it felt like we were like we use to be. Before mariage became a chore (cooking, cleaning, work and all that other stuff) it just seems like things have changed since we got married. Its hard to me!!

    I became a follower of your blog, maybe i will even begin my love dare journey again (after all i felt like a better person while i was eventhough it wa only 8 days... it helped)... and we can help and encourage each other!!

    I wish you the best and look forward to reading more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through Laura as well and I am so glad I came here and read it. I love the honesty and look forward to reading more of your journey. These are things we can all work on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great that in your pain over his ring on the dresser you found insight into how he MIGHT possibly feel about you and your rings. I've been married 14 years. Not that long after getting married I started having a reaction to my rings. I would wear them 24/7. My dermatologist said it had to do with the moisture that gets caught under them. She suggested I don't wear them at night and I wear gloves when cleaning w/chemicals and when doing dishes. Those things helped but were not a cure. The "rash" would come and go, get better and worse. I've also gained weight over the years, including baby weight. When I wasn't able to wear both rings at the same time it bothered my husband (not during the pregnancy). Finally I got them resized. Unfortunately I had to do this twice. Still the rash persisted. I now have a topical perscription that totally controls this kind of dermatitis. Nothing over the counter had helped over the years.

    I'm telling my long story just b/c now that after all these years I've found a way to control this issue, I feel so much better about it, I would carry around some guilt with me when I couldn't wear both or either of the rings. Then I felt silly about the whole thing. But I KNEW it bothered my husband too. I know you said you wore the rings all day and night and your "finger didn't fall off" but if you are still having trouble from wearing them I would suggest one dermatologist visit. :)

    ReplyDelete