Friday, March 26, 2010

Love Sacrifices, Day 28

Today I am going to do something that I promised myself at the beginning of this Dare I would not do. I hope that you, my readers, understand and forgive me. This part of The Love Dare is extremely personal. I do not feel comfortable sharing publicly the details of how I handled this one. Rather than telling you my specific actions and thoughts, I am going to keep this one much more general. I am not doing this out of a desire to hide anything. Rather, I am doing this out of my love and respect for my husband. There are certain aspects of our lives that need to remain private. God knows the details, and that is what matters most!


The Scripture focus for this one is Matthew 25:35-36. “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I was naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you visited me; I was in prison and you came to me.” It’s a passage that I am very well acquainted with. It’s one that I keep in the forefront of my mind as I do work with the women’s group at my church. Jesus urges us in this passage to think of others, to realize that He is in everyone we meet and that we should treat others just as we would treat Him. I think I have done a very good job with that over the years.

Until I read this Dare, though, I didn’t realize that I have been falling short in one area: all too often I fail to treat my husband as I would treat Christ.

Because he is the one with me every day, the one who ten years ago promised to love me no matter what and reaffirmed that vow just a few weeks ago, I tend to take him for granted. Even worse, I look at the verse that says, “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and Himself up for her” (Ephesians 5:25) and think that it is up to my husband to make sacrifice for me. I tend to want things MY way, and I don’t put much time, attention, or thought into what my husband might want.

That is not fair.

There is one particular area where I know I have been failing him. That one was really brought home when I read this portion of The Love Dare. I’ve made a commitment to think more about this particular need of his and to do more to fill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment