Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Love is Responsible, Day 26

Today’s Dare—To ask God’s forgiveness for any wrongdoing, then humbly admit that wrongdoing to your spouse.


It sounds like a difficult one, on the surface. But for me, it really wasn’t. My wrongdoing came to light a few months back, when I had to admit to my husband that I was doing a horrible job of maintaining our budget. Telling him was not easy. To be honest, I don’t know if it was more difficult to come clean or to ask his forgiveness. Perhaps if this had been the first time that I had trouble with finances things would have been different. But since it wasn’t, I kept wondering, “How can I ask him to forgive me for something that I have messed up with over and over again?”

At this end of this Dare is the question: “What does your mate need to see in order to believe that your confession was more than just words?” In my case, though I’ve not specifically asked him, I would assume that needs to see my receipts. He needs to see that I am taking responsibility for the money I spend and I am actually paying our bills with it. Not that I have just gone and bought frivolous things in the past. More that I have neglected to pay bills in a timely manner, causing late fees that were unnecessary. In order for him to believe that I am truly sorry for the things I have done and that I really want to change, he needs to see the evidence that I am trying to change.

So long as I show progress toward mending this, I pray that he will be understanding enough to not expect a complete turnaround all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment